5 Tips for Good Small Business Website Design
Web design that keeps visitors on your site
Creating your brand is key to marketing your small business — and your online brand is your website.
What do people see when they visit your site? Your visitors need to know what your site is about (and that it’s what they were looking for) within seconds of arriving or they’ll leave. Having a user-friendly, engaging website design is the best way to keep your visitors on your site — giving them time to learn about your business and become new customers.
- Make sure your logo is on every page. Your logo needs to be in the forefront — and it needs to be clean and readable. This will help increase your brand recognition and help your visitors know that they’re in the right place.
- Avoid Flash and other “autoplay” features. Flash animation can annoy visitors — often because it doesn’t load at all (especially on mobile devices and modern browsers, including iPhones). Videos or music that play automatically can also turn visitors away from your site.
- Use simple, intuitive navigation. Make sure your navigation bar is in a consistent place on each page of your site (across the top is best). Keep all important content/navigation in easy-to-ready fonts and colors. Name your navigation buttons what you think your visitors will look for — “What We Do” keeps them guessing more than “Interior Painting.” Make it as easy as possible for your visitors to find what they’re looking for quickly.
- Keep it consistent. Every page of your site should use the same overall style — typeface, colors, imagery and more. When your site changes dramatically from page to page (especially in key areas like your navigation or links), your visitors can get frustrated or confused. Conventions and repetition keep your site easy to use.
- Have a clear and direct call-to-action (or CTA). What do you want your visitors to do after they get to your site? Make sure your design draws attention to what you want them to do next — call, fill out a form, download a menu, visit your store, etc. Many small business websites forget to highlight (or even forget to include) a CTA.
Remember, your website design is about more than just looking good — it’s about showing your visitors what they expect to see, and guiding them through your site so that they can become new customers.
Does your business need a new website? Call us today at 855-771-7858 (or let us know a good time to talk) to get a search engine-optimized, mobile-friendly small business website that can get you found and win new customers.