Facebook Ads vs Boosted Posts
Getting Savvy with Social, Part II
Everyone is used to seeing different types of content on Facebook: posts in the News Feed, and ads in the News Feed and sidebar. And if you’ve spent a little bit of time on your business’ Facebook Page, you’ve probably seen the option to “boost” one of your posts:
But don’t mistake a Boosted Post for an actual Ad (or a professionally built and managed Social Marketing campaign).
Two key differences between Ads and Boosted Posts
- Boosted Posts don’t drive business results like Ads – They can help generate awareness…but they aren’t a lead generation tool like an actual Ad. Even the Call to Action button on an Ad vs. a Boosted Post is telling:
- Ad buttons drive actions like “Contact Us” or “Sign Up” (as you can see below)
- Boosted Posts only give people the option to Like, Comment or Share (just like with a normal post)
- Boosted posts don’t stand out like Ads – They may be seen by more people than your average non-boosted post, but they don’t necessarily stand out like an actual Ad.
- Boosted Posts only appear in the News Feed, just like a regular post – not in the sidebar and other mobile-only positions
- Boosted Posts only appear once, just like a regular post – not again and again like an Ad
And don’t forget: boosted posts still need to follow Facebook’s advertising guidelines. Simple mistakes like too much text in your post can prevent you from boosting it!
Working with a trusted Facebook Marketing Partner for Small Business Solutions like Hibu means no learning curve…no time spent troubleshooting Facebook instead of running your business…and best of all, better business results from a fully-managed Social Marketing campaign that includes ads and posts.
Want to be even more savvy about Social? Check out part I of this series, Facebook Ads + Posts >