Facebook Ads vs Boosted Posts
Getting Savvy with Social, Part II
Everyone is used to seeing different types of content on Facebook: posts in the News Feed, and ads in the News Feed and sidebar. And if you’ve spent a little bit of time on your business’ Facebook Page, you’ve probably seen the option to “boost” one of your posts:
But don’t mistake a Boosted Post for an actual Ad (or a professionally built and managed Social Marketing campaign).
Two key differences between Ads and Boosted Posts
1. Boosted Posts don’t drive business results like Ads
They can help generate awareness…but they aren’t a lead generation tool like an actual Ad. Even the Call to Action button on an Ad vs. a Boosted Post is telling:
- Ad buttons drive actions like “Contact Us” or “Sign Up” (as you can see below)
- Boosted Posts only give people the option to Like, Comment or Share (just like with a normal post)
2. Boosted posts don’t stand out like Ads
They may be seen by more people than your average non-boosted post, but they don’t necessarily stand out like an actual Ad.
- Boosted Posts only appear in the News Feed, just like a regular post – not in the sidebar and other mobile-only positions
- Boosted Posts only appear once, just like a regular post – not again and again like an Ad
And don’t forget: boosted posts still need to follow Facebook’s advertising guidelines. Simple mistakes like too much text in your post can prevent you from boosting it!
Working with a trusted Facebook Marketing Partner for Small Business Solutions like Hibu means no learning curve…no time spent troubleshooting Facebook instead of running your business…and best of all, better business results from a fully-managed Social Marketing campaign that includes ads and posts.
Want to be even more savvy about Social? Check out part I of this series, Facebook Ads + Posts >