Small Business FAQs: SEO
Get answers about small business SEO – from questions that other local business owners just like you have asked us!
Q: What can you promise with a hibu Website?
A: With a hibu Premium Website, we can promise you four things:
- Your site will be live at the agreed upon domain name
- Your site will be submitted to the search engines for indexing (at their discretion)
- Your site will be optimized for your business name and location
- Your online business listings will be claimed and updated (with hibu Wave)*
PLUS, your hibu Premium Website package includes everything you need for a professional site that works on all devices:
- A mobile-optimized version of your site for customers looking for you on their smartphones or tablets*
- Access to make your own DIY website changes and see your Website Analytics through ‘My Account’ on hibu.com
- Professional copywriting and design when we build your site and when you call for updates
Search engine rankings change all the time because of new sites being published, search engine algorithm updates, the amount of competition in your geographic area and a number of other factors. With just a hibu Website, we can’t guarantee how your site will rank for any specific keyword.
You can increase your search engine ranking for specific keywords with a targeted SEO Services campaign… drive more visitors to your site with Search Marketing ads…or build your brand awareness on popular sites and mobile apps with Display Advertising.
* Included with the hibu Premium Website package
Q: Will changing the keywords on my website help me rank better in the search results?
A: Not really. SEO today is about much more than just keywords. It’s a larger ecosystem of quality content, backlinks, social sharing, and more.
You still want to use descriptive, easy-to-understand words on your site so your site visitors know what you do… but changing or adding keywords will have a minimal effect on where your site ranks in the search results.
The “keywords” for your site are the copy you see on each page. Search engines are much more concerned with your copy being engaging, valuable, well written and unique. Google asks that your site “focus on developing high-quality content” that “delivers the best possible experience for users” (Google Webmaster Central Blog, March 2011). And having “user-friendly” copy is more likely to attract backlinks, which are what really make your site relevant – and help it rank higher over time.
If ranking higher in the search results for specific keywords is your goal, consider starting an SEO Services campaign.
Q: If I only have a website, how can I improve my SEO and raise my ranking in the search results?
A: You can potentially increase your visibility and ranking by making regular updates to your site (both text and images), and making sure the website content is focused on your site visitor’s needs. Google wants content that’s useful, likely to be shared, and that “creates the best possible experience for users” (Google Webmaster Central Blog, March 2011) – and that kind of quality content attracts backlinks, which can raise your site’s ranking over time.
You can also advertise and promote your site online:
- Try an SEO Services campaign to boost your search engine ranking for targeted keyword phrases
- Increase traffic by promoting your domain name (or URL) on your other marketing collateral (online and offline)
- Get more traffic and build brand awareness with a Search Marketing campaign or Display Advertising campaign.