Three mobile stats that drive me crazy
Here are three stats about small business websites that absolutely drive me crazy…
- In the U.S., more than 90%of adults have mobile devices, and most of the time they are kept within arm’s reach
- BUT… only 56% of small businesses having a company website
- AND… only 53% of those with a website have optimized it for mobile
Not to be harsh, but… LOOK AROUND, PEOPLE! You must see everyone around you on phones. Those are your customers. Those are the people looking for local business, products and services. If your website isn’t mobile-friendly – easy for a visitor to use on their phone – you are going to lose their business.
“One of the great advantages of mobile is the connection small businesses can make with consumers while they’re on the move.” Forbes, Dec. 2016
Here’s one more stat you have got to take to heart… 88% of consumers who search for a local business on a mobile device call or go to that business within 24 hours. So, these aren’t just casual shoppers – these are people who are ready to make a buying decision.
Small business owners today have to start to think of their website not just as marketing, but also as evolving technology.
- If your website is more than two or three years old, it’s probably hard for your customers to use on their phones – that will cost you business
- If your website isn’t kept fresh and up-to-date, your visitors could get the impression that your business is equally out-of-date
- If your website doesn’t have the same look and feel as your social media – Facebook, Instagram, etc. – that disconnect could cause consumers to disconnect, too
When was the last time you looked at your own website? Did you look at it on a desktop… or on your phone? So… how mobile friendly is your website?
Capital One Small Business Confidence Score; Q4 2016
Forbes: Expanding the Digital Footprint of Small Businesses with Mobile and Local; Dec. 2016
Google Mobile Movement Study: 2014